John was born in Runcorn and was the son of Mr J.W.Davies (A Mechanical Engineer at the Salt Works who died in 1946 age 74) and the late Mrs Sarah Davies (died in 1907 aged 34). He had two brothers Robert (21) and Arthur (15) and a sister, Hannah (24). As a boy he attended Victoria Road School and Halton Road Wesleyan Church and Sunday school. He was a member of the Oddfellows friendly society and worked at the Salt Union Works, Weston Point as a Cell Room Attendant.
He enlisted in Frodsham , 4th August 1916, and his service records state he was 5ft 6 ½ inches, with perfect vision and weighed 115 lbs, joining the 5th Battalion of the Cheshire Regiment as No 5369, before arriving in France on the 7th January 1917.
He was posted to the 16th battalion, in June 1917 and promoted from Private to Lance Corporal in October 1917.
His sister received a letter from him on the 7th March 1918, and a field card was received on the 26th March.
He was reported as being Killed In Action by an officer of the 7th Royal West Kent Regiment on the 4th April, no battalion war diary exists for the 16th Cheshires on this date because of the chaotic nature of the situation during this period. It can be assumed that he was fighting near the town of Albert, on the 5th April the Germans advance was halted.
He has no known grave, and is commemorated on the Pozieres memorial, Somme, France panel 35 .
He is also commemorated on the Runcorn War Memorial on Greenway Road.
Compiled by Graeme Ainsworth with assistance from Percy Dunbavand